[lsb-discuss] Where (oh where) does java go.

Joseph Kowalski jek3 at sun.com
Tue May 13 16:37:31 PDT 2008

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> s390 is in interesting case, there is no longer an "enterprise" distro
> for s390 with RHE and SLE both having stopped (I think Debian still
> considers it supported, but that may not be for that much longer
> either), but the application environment, which is all LSB talks about
> anyway, continues to exist.  so not sure what this actually means in
> the java context... would someone have to ship a 31-bit jre to have
> their system conform with the s390 ABI, even if the distro is 64-bit?
For the architectures supported by Sun/OpenJDK, its just a bug that
javaws isn't available on a few of the supported architectures.  There
is not technical issue.  We need to follow this, but its not this thread.

The other issue you bring-up is if there is a java (any java) available
for the architectures not supported by Sun.  (Or with a little hand
waving around Apple, ppc and Linux.)  The short answer is "the distro
needs to provide it".  That is independent if a distro can provide this
easily (from Sun, OpenJDK, IceTea or whoever).  Is this a stopper for
inclusion of Java in the LSB?

The sources are (or soon will be) available freely.  However, as you
might expect, the porting to a new architecture is more than just a
matter of saying "make" for a virtual machine.

- jek3