[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-05-14

Carlos Manuel Duclos Vergara carlos.duclos at trolltech.com
Thu May 15 08:11:32 PDT 2008

> So you use OpenSSL under Windows and Mac OS X, then, and not their
> respective native crypto APIs?

For the OpenSSL wrapper we do, we do not perform any cryptographic operations
in Qt. All we do is to provide a plugin infrastructure, we provide a generic API and
it's up to you to implement a plugin to match what you need to do. We provide the
OpenSSL wrapper as a "plugin" too.

> Actually, Debian got rid of non-US a while back; we ship libnss3,
> openssl, gnupg, ssh, etc. in the same archives as the rest of the
> distro.  It probably makes a difference that we're under US export
> regulations anyway, since the project got started in the USA and is
> "owned" by a US non-profit.
>
> Also, for what it's worth, Debian's system for compliance with the
> export regulations was crafted with paid legal help, and has been cited
> by the US government as a model program for export compliance.

We do not want to be considered under export compliance.

> I do understand, though, how you might not want to have to mess with all
> that.

We have done it and it is not worth it, the legal troubles you get when you are
outside the US is quite big and we are not doing this because we know it.
We spent a lot of time and resources sorting out that, and we do not want to
even look back that road again (notice that we did it after the law was simplified).
If you insist on forcing people to use NSS as a default to become LSB compliant then
you are taking out a big number of projects and companies that do not want or
do not have the resources to go through that.

--
Carlos Manuel Duclos Vergara
carlos.duclos at trolltech.com
QA Team Lead