[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-05-21

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed May 21 09:04:48 PDT 2008

Attendees: Jeff Licquia, Ron Hale-Evans, Carlos Duclos (TrollTech),
Thiago Macieira (TrollTech), Stew Benedict, Kay Tate, George Kraft,
Marvin Heffler, Mats Wichmann, Alexey Khoroshilov, Darren Davis, Alan
Clark, Ted Tso.

3.2 refresh status.  Jeff: repositories and bundles created for all
architectures except s390, due to a glitch in the builders; s390 in
progress.  Those with an inclination are encouraged to test.  Everything
is in the "beta" subdirectories on the FTP site; will be moved to the
release areas soon.

SI status.  Fix for su bug in progress; s390 and s390x issues still
outstanding.

NSS and legal issues.  Carlos: Thiago Maceiera is a developer on crypto
issues for TrollTech.  TrollTech is concerned about linking with
US-created crypto code.  Thiago: Qt does not expose any details of
OpenSSL.  Provide own API.  Only implementation is OpenSSL.  Dynamically
load OpenSSL as needed, so no direct link to it.  Only used when
encryption is needed.  Only support encrypted sockets; no advanced
features from OpenSSL.  Can technically write a different implementation
that is based on something else.

Jeff: summary of NSS crypto legal discussion on list.  Thiago: the
underlying implementation is not exposed at all.  Decision to use Qt's
SSL code in the LSB is not related to NSS use in the LSB at all.  Not
willing to port to NSS at this time.  Ted: not really our problem.

Thiago: as to whether LSB should support NSS, not really their issue,
but LSB should think carefully about the legal issues.  Ted: most
companies assume that they have to deal with the US Commerce Department
if they do any crypto at all, however they do it.  If TrollTech has an
ISV that feels otherwise, we'd like to hear from them.  Carlos: using US
code seems to put people under US jurisdiction.  Ted: dispute about
that, but not something we can solve here.  TrollTech may be more
sensitive about this, as a toolkit; don't want to introduce a crypto dep
for apps that don't use crypto.  This doesn't apply to NSS, since you
definitely ship it or link to it.

Jeff: can Qt apps use NSS directly?  Thiago: yes, should work. for
whatever reason they would want to do that.

Jeff: Qt 4.3 issues with LSB 4.  Thiago: should be orthogonal.  When Qt
4.3 gets integrated, the SSL symbols should land.

Ted: what's the advantage to QtSSL?  Thiago: integration with the rest
of Qt.  Could not use QtNetwork socket support with NSS or something else.

Thiago: GNU TLS?  Jeff: not enough resources, rigor, etc.  Ted: they
don't in fact have the resources.  Carlos: and OpenSSL can't do the API
compatibility thing?  Ted: yes.  NSS is interesting because they do have
a stable ABI and support.

Mats: Qt3Support?  Carlos: we seemed to reach consensus on the list.
Qt3Support is a library that mimics Qt 3, is a porting aid to Qt 4.
Some of those interfaces got into LSB 3.2, but incomplete.  Should we
keep them, or not?  Consensus seemed to be to do a correct import for
LSB 4, drop them for 3.2.  Jeff: Mats's objection: maybe shouldn't drop
in 3.2 if we're adding them back in for 4.0.  Mats: not a big deal.
Jeff: will add the bugs, project pages, etc. so the task isn't dropped.

Jeff: bug ballot.  Could we use Bugzilla voting?  Mats: a little bit of
a pain, some setup required.  Should probably just be diligent in
triage.  Jeff: Friday as Bug Day again?  Ted: IRC-only, maybe every
other week on the call.  Alan: time?  Discussion, Friday may be bad.
Thursday, starting at 8 am Pacific time, is better.  Ron: Google
Calendar?  Jeff will do it.  Next bug day will be tommorow, IRC-only;
discussion will start at 8 am US Pacific, 11 am USEastern.