[lsb-discuss] Trial use Java re LSB application cerfication?

Kay Tate ktate at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 06:56:15 PDT 2008

>Kay Tate wrote:
>> I am a little unclear what effect a Java trial use standard has on LSB
>> application certification. Can Java apps get LSB Certified with trial
>> use standards? Or do we wait to recruit Java apps until Java is fully
>> included?

>Mats Wichmann answered:
>I can't see how we can certify Java apps when we can't figure out
>how to certify the runtimes they'll be deployed on - that being
>the major reason why it's Trial Use.   I don't think we really
>know what the application check scenario will look like, either.

Makes sense to me. I just didn't want to lose recruiting opportunity.

Do we have a section about what "trial use" means to LSB application
certification? I looked for it on the web site and didn't see anything
about it. Certainly addressing testing in the distros is a first
priority. However, it might be useful to be clear somewhere that apps
can't use "trial use" module compliance in their LSB application
certification process. In the java case, they still have to
ship the JRE.

On the testing front for Java, I have a question for Joe K. It was
reported to us a couple of years ago that there was a tool that
checked whether a Java program conformed to the spec. Does this ring
any bells? Do you think this is the kind of thing we would need to
test LSB complaince for Java programs, or is it more rigorous than
is required? Is there another alternative?