[lsb-discuss] What is the LSB-approved authentication method?

Ann Davis andavis at novell.com
Wed Oct 8 09:27:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

I work with several Linux ISVs who have applications that interact with
/etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow and/or other user databases that are
wired in via "PAM".  Some of the apps just include functionality to list
all users, and some actually do user authentication.

What APIs should these apps use?  Any suggestions re. getpwent() and
getspent()?  And should all apps that do authentication use PAM apis?
ISVs (at least the ones I work with) really seem to need some direction
in this area.

TIA for your help.

Regards,

Ann