[lsb-discuss] Questions about history

Cameron Laird Cameron at phaseit.net
Wed Oct 29 14:06:49 PDT 2008

I hope to document a bit about how LSB got to where it is, and am
particularly curious about all the secondary parts of LSB.  Expect,
for example, appears to have been a rather early addition, first
showing up in 1.3.  While I'd happily pepper the mailing list with
my own questions, and chew over your answers, it's probably best
for all if I "learn to fish".  Is there a managed source tree--pre-
sumably with check-in comments--for LSB releases, or is the only
historical information the released packages themselves?  Where
might I find the discussion which resulted in Expect appearing in
1.3 (or Java in 4.0, or Perl in 3.2, or ...)?  It's easy to
speculate that Expect showed up because of its use in test
drivers--but which tests, and who decided?

I'll happily publicize any ISV whose products rely on these
secondary languages, in return for a few comments on the benefits
of LSB.

Cameron Laird       <Cameron at phaseit.net      +1 281 996 8546 FAX
http://phaseit.net/claird/misc.writing/publications.html