[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-09-03

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Thu Sep 4 08:41:04 PDT 2008

Attendees: Stew Benedict, Ron Hale-Evans, Jeff Licquia, Kay Tate, Darren
Davis, Mats Wichmann, Russ Herrold, Ted Tso, Dalibor Topic, Brian
Proffitt, Alexey Khoroshilov

Mats: NSPR.  The claim is that we need it for NSS; not entirely sure.
There was a list of need-to-haves, but some was "optional".  Not a vast
amount of work, but not necessarily trivial either.  Ted: maybe we need
to do another call this week?  Mats: mail or IRC might work, too.  Ted:
whatever would be most productive.  Mats: the list was a pointer to
parts of the API docs.  Ted: could just strip out the stuff marked
optional.  Mats: about 20 interfaces without the optional stuff.  Could
publish the list and see what they think.  Ted: can we get those symbols
in by the end of the week?  Mats: adding is iterative; can get them in
quickly is OK, but making sure we get it all right can take longer.  The
initial add can be done by tomorrow.  Ted: should probably do the bare
minimum for this.  Mats will circulate the list and start from there.
Alexey: ISPRAS can also help with this.

Mats: also are issues with the versioning of the sonames.  Jeff: have to
keep the soname the way it is.  Mats: question as to whether other
distros have issues with providing the soname.  Ted: is this a real
issue, given that adding a symlink should be easy?  Jeff: version is
good to follow policy.  Ted: problem with transition; need to do both.
App vendors can be confused.  May want to just point out its
"different-ness" in the spec.

Jeff: haven't found out what the NSS compatibility issue was that Debian
thought was a problem.  Ted: contact maintainers?  Jeff: not yet.

Jeff: parts of beta.  Spec, tests, SI, SDK.  Mats: we know what needs to
be part of the release.  Everyone will start hating Mats.  Ted:
packaging all in shape?  Mats: not quite as automated as we'd like to
be, some new things.  New tests, SI.  SI tools are probably
well-packaged.  Jeff: will cover the beta process.

Ted: P1 bugs, too.  Jeff: 26 bugs, 19 are not the release blocker bugs.
  Ted: Hao Liu problems with python?  Stew: may be an issue with the
distro, not upstream.  Not a compliance issue; the test suite relies on
something that Fedora rearranged.  Ted: can we just include it in our
tests, then?  Stew: probably.  Will open a bug.  Mats: probably not a
P1, though we can decide for sure at triage.  Ted: probably more
important than others, but wouldn't look good.  Jeff: may need to
re-evaluate other "appearance bugs".  Ted: also, if this test isn't
being run properly, it reduces the value of the beta; what happens if
the test fails after being fixed?

Alexey: when will we do 3.2.2?  Jeff: no date.  Mats: accumulated some
things.  Maybe do quickly while waiting for 4.0 beta feedback?  Ted:
might make sense.  Ted: we need the autobuilder handling multiple builds.

Mats: build machine requirements?  Might be able to get one.  Ted: David
should have that info.  Mats: will ask.  Ted: may just buy a machine to
ease the work.

Jeff: 3.2.2 first week of October?  Mats: better to say mid-October.
Ted: keyword for 3.2.2 work?  Mats: using bug target for that; most
3.2.2 fixes in 4.0 already.  Stew: most 3.2.2 fixes in 4.0 are also in
3.2.2; just need rebuilds.

Jeff: Michael availability?  Ted: ARM work is longer-term; he could work
on autobuilder, esp. close to beta.  Can do 3.2.2 and 4.0.  Michael can
refocus on that.