[lsb-discuss] nss question: did we close on the nspr issue?

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 11 06:37:12 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 04:40:52PM -0700, Wan-Teh Chang wrote:

> We are migrating the NSPR Reference to the wiki at
> http://developer.mozilla.org/En/NSPR_API_Reference.
> The migration is not done, which is why I still have the
> habit of referring to the original NSPR Reference at
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/,
> and for minor changes I try to change both places.
>
> But new functions will only be documented in the
> wiki.  Also, the majority of the NSPR Reference
> has been migrated, so I recommend that LSB
> reference the pages in the wiki.  All the links in
> http://developer.mozilla.org/En/NSS_reference/NSPR_functions
> point to the wiki.

One of the things which is a little worrisome about Wiki's are their
mutability.  This is true of anything on the web, of course, but
Wiki's raison de etre *is* that they are very easy to change.  If we
are going to be referencing a standard specification for LSB 4.0, this
can be a problem, since we really want to be sure that we what we
reference when we release LSB 4.0 is the same thing other people will
see if they look at the referenced specification 2 or 3 years later.

Do you have a provision for maintaining stable snapshots of the wiki?
Or would you mind if we somehow snapshotted the relevant pages from
the wiki and stored them someplace stable, and referenced both the
stable snapshot as well as the mutable wiki version?  Some users might
want to see any clarifications or improvements to the specification
from a tutorial perspective, but other people might want to make sure
they can see somethign which they know is stable and unchanging, at
least with respect to LSB 4.0 compliance.

Regards,

						- Ted