[lsb-discuss] lsb dynamic linker name for LSB 4.0

Theodore Tso tytso at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 11 13:33:17 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:11:05PM -0600, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> > Worse yet, one could imagine an application which was built using the
> > LSB 4.0 build tools, but if it just so happened that the application
> > only used interfaces that were allowed by LSB 3.2, would have worked
> > on an LSB 3.2 distribution --- EXCEPT THAT LSB 4.0 required a
> > different soname.  In other words, for no good reason.  That alone
> > seems to be the best arguement for ruling out an soname bump.
>
> we can certainly document a procedure for making sure that
> doesn't happen, in general how to get to "built for the lowest
> usable LSB version" should be written up whether or not we
> do anything with the linker name.

Agreed, but that procedure should be as simple as possible; one of my
arguments for not bumping the soname is to avoid make such a procedure
(or our tools) more complex unless benefit really justifies it.

       	   	       	       	      	      		- Ted