[lsb-discuss] nss question: did we close on the nspr issue?

Wan-Teh Chang wtc at google.com
Thu Sep 11 14:01:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Theodore Tso <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> One of the things which is a little worrisome about Wiki's are their
> mutability.  This is true of anything on the web, of course, but
> Wiki's raison de etre *is* that they are very easy to change.  If we
> are going to be referencing a standard specification for LSB 4.0, this
> can be a problem, since we really want to be sure that we what we
> reference when we release LSB 4.0 is the same thing other people will
> see if they look at the referenced specification 2 or 3 years later.
>
> Do you have a provision for maintaining stable snapshots of the wiki?
> Or would you mind if we somehow snapshotted the relevant pages from
> the wiki and stored them someplace stable, and referenced both the
> stable snapshot as well as the mutable wiki version?  Some users might
> want to see any clarifications or improvements to the specification
> from a tutorial perspective, but other people might want to make sure
> they can see somethign which they know is stable and unchanging, at
> least with respect to LSB 4.0 compliance.

Hi Ted,

We don't have a provision for maintaining stable snapshots of the wiki.
The master source of the content on www.mozilla.org is in a CVS
repository.  It is a lot of work to edit it.  This is why we are migrating
the NSPR Reference to the wiki.

It'd be certainly fine if you snapshotted the relevant pages from
the wiki and referenced both the stable snapshot and the
mutable wiki version.  I used an open source tool called
HTTrack to take snapshots of NSS's FIPS validation docs
on another wiki before.  I documented the instructions at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/fips/wiki-download.html

Wan-Teh Chang