[lsb-discuss] lsb dynamic linker name for LSB 4.0

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Fri Sep 12 03:57:47 PDT 2008

> > we can certainly document a procedure for making sure that
> > doesn't happen, in general how to get to "built for the lowest
> > usable LSB version" should be written up whether or not we
> > do anything with the linker name.

Absolutely.

> Agreed, but that procedure should be as simple as possible; one of my
> arguments for not bumping the soname is to avoid make such a procedure
> (or our tools) more complex unless benefit really justifies it.

I agree that not changing the soname makes it simpler this time
round. But if we find that it needs to be changed for LSB 5, and
then not again until LSB 8, or whatever, things start to get
confusing. That's why I'm arguing for maintaining the current
pattern unless there's a major positive reason to change it.

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer

Siemens PLM Software