[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-09-10

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Sep 12 17:26:24 PDT 2008

Howard Chu wrote:
> Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>> Jeff Licquia wrote, On 2008-09-12 12:12:

>>> The LSB SDK provides its own shared libraries for the purpose of
>>> linking applications.  They have no code, but provide the proper
>>> entry points, so when the app is run, the app links to the proper
>>> symbols in the full shared library.  This is what we call a "stub".
>>
>> Thanks for that explanation.  It sounds to me as if LSB will provide
>> something similar to what MS Windows calls an "import library", a
>> surrogate for the real shared library, used only for linking in other
>> libraries or executables, something not historically required on
>> Unix-ish platforms.  I hope you won't mind if I use the term "import
>> library" for these stubs.
>
> I think the correct concept here is a "filter library"
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/801-6737/6i13gn6j5?a=view

The LSB stubs are purely a link-time artifact, the app always
runs against the standard system libraries.  Filtering isn't
a bad term for what this does, but the filtering happens at
link time, you'll simply get unresolved symbols (and a failed
link-edit) if your app attempted to access non-LSB functions from
a particular library.