[lsb-discuss] libresolv.so not part of LSB - what's the solution?

Gaurav Jain gaurav.anywhere at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:23:25 PDT 2008

Hi All,

The application I'm working on needs to be LSB 3.1 compliant.  But the
problem is we're using Qt, which internally depends on the
libresolv.so library, which is not part of LSB.

Category  	Type  	Element  	Comments
[+]  	Non-LSB library used  	Failed  	libresolv.so.2  	No information
Messages from the test:
DT_NEEDED: libresolv.so.2 is used, but not part of the LSB

[+] 	Non-LSB interface used 	Failed 	__res_state 	No information
Messages from the test:
Symbol __res_state is used, but is not included in LSB 3.1 (Core & C++
& Desktop)

[+] 	Non-LSB interface used 	Failed 	__res_init 	No information
Messages from the test:
Symbol __res_init is used, but is not included in LSB 3.1 (Core & C++ & Desktop)

[+] 	Non-LSB interface used 	Failed 	__res_query 	No information
Messages from the test:
Symbol __res_query is used, but is not included in LSB 3.1 (Core & C++
& Desktop)

The above errors are thrown when checking my application for LSB
compatibility.  Not using Qt or libresolv is not an option.  Does
anybody know what license the libresolv code is covered under, so I
can decide if I can bundle the library with my application?  Any links
to where I can find the source code license?

Thanks,
Gaurav