[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] Slides for GSoC report on the PWG Meetingin October

Stew Benedict stewb at linux-foundation.org
Tue Sep 30 14:52:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> writes:

> >> The problem is the missing manpower for writing specs and test suites.
> >
> > Could you be more specific about:
> >
> >  - what kind of specs are required
> >  - what kind of test suites are required
> >  - how much time is approximately needed for each of these
> >  - the process involved to contribute these
> >

> Can someone of the LSB work group help Olaf here and post appropriate
> documentation links, explain what to do, ...

I'll try to give some input.  There are a number of steps:

1) import of the sane interfaces into the database

I did a first pass try of this a while back, and things appeared to mostly
come out right.

ref:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/SANE40
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LibToLSB (import part is obsolete)
http://ispras.linux-foundation.org/index.php/LSB_Library_Import_Tools

2) writing/integrating of specs

If upstream specs are adequate, then this piece can be a fairly small
amount of work, basically a pointer to the upstream (preferable a static
copy we can be assured will remain where it is and unchanged). Then of
course the sane spec would need to be integrated into the spec as a whole.

Ref #2 above has some info on spec writing. I think Ron has created some
better references.

3) writing/integrating tests

We have a number of test technologies we use.  I'm most familiar with
either adapting upstream's unit tests into something we can use, or the
classic tet-style tests like lsb-test-core or the cups portion of the
printing tests use. There are also new test frameworks which our
colleagues at ISP/RAS are most familiar with.

Ref #2 has some info on writing tests. The printing/cups tests are in bzr
here:

http://bzr.linux-foundation.org/lsb/devel/printing-test?cmd=inventory;rev=mats%40freestandards.org-20080930053543-wj9dlz85w23vsv4b;path=sources/printing-test/

See convenience, ppd, raster

Writing the tests isn't usually a huge task, if we're still talking about
14 interfaces. Testing them and bugfixing across a number of distributions
can be time consuming.

> > That would make it easier for me to see
if/when/where I can provide > > some sorely missing manpower ;-)

> >> As the printer manufacturers benefit most from these new requirements,
> >> I think the best is to ask them for help.
> >>
> >> Olaf, would you, or someone of your co-workers at Avasys help here?
> >
> > I would like to help but it doesn't look like I'll be having any time
> > until around the end of October (and even after that I'm not so sure
> > I'll be having a lot of time).
>
> LSB developers, what are the time frames for finishing specs and test
> suites. Are they different for SANE, as SANE is planned to get into the
> trial use category?

I could be mistaken, but I think we pretty much took sane off the table
when we hit the feature freeze point and we hadn't yet made much progress
with it, but I by no means have the final say. Beta release of 4.0 is
supposed to be happening this week.

Hope this helps,
--
Stew Benedict