[lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2009: Student application

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 04:13:03 PDT 2009

Hi,

another student applied to do the OpenJDK project in this Google Summer
of Code. See the application below. If someone of you wants to mentor
him or participate in evaluating his application, please sign up as a
GSoC mentor for the Linux Foundation (organization link ID: LF) on
http://socghop.appspot.com/. This does not oblige you to actually mentor
this student.

    Till

Title:  	 Make OpenJDK LSB Compliant
Student: 	pavel shved
Mentor: 	No mentor assigned
Possible Mentors: 	None
Abstract:
Including Java as a mandatory component in the LSB (similar to the
support of Perl and Python) has been difficult due to some non-technical
issues. I recognize the importance of Java and would like to provide a
pathway for Java application to become LSB certified. Therefore, the
creation of an LSB certifiable JRE is very important to community and a
number of Java application providers. My aim in this project is to patch
source code and building scripts of OpenJDK for it to become LSB compliant.
Content:

SHORT INFO ABOUT ME
My name is Pavel Shved, I'm a male human of 20 years old.  If you meet
me in IRC or across the web, I'll most likely use nickname `shvedsky'.
I study in Moscow (Russia), the city is GMT 3+.
Email: pavel.shved at gmail.com.

PROJECT - ,,Make OpenJDK LSB Compliant''
My aim in this project's framework is to make OpenJDK a compatible
application (since other ways to standartize it are hampered).  This
would specifically benefit application developers that use Java and
would like to rely on LSB platform.

I think that LSB lacks support from developers.  Certanly, presence of
many of LSB compatible environments will fill this gap.  That's why I
picked this particular idea.

I'm going to spend 40h per week during the summer (only 32 in the end of
May though).  I'm sure I will carry the project good enough, as I had
prior experience with LSB and automatic analysis of source code of C++
libraries.  I investigated C++ shared libraries binary compatibility
problems (and even filed a couple of bugfixes to LSB bugzilla), through
which I had acqaintance with LSB internals.
I have few experience with Java but the basics would be enough for this
project.

SCHEDULE
23 May:  study source code of OpenJDK, analyze it with LSB App Checker,
and determine the key problems preventing it from being LSB compatible.
  Study OpenJDK build system and portability support infrasturucture.

05 June: determine particular subroutines that comprise incompatibility.
  Study what can be eliminated by following LSB guidelines (by studying
interfaces in LSB Navigator, mailing list archives and live IRC contact
with LSB maintainers). Study low-level parts of JDK (such as I/O, memory
allocation systems) more thoroughly to find the ways to solve
incompatibility in non-obivous cases. Query OpenJDK developers with
elaborated questions whether the intervention in the most obscure parts
of code won't arise any known issues.

25 June: fix the most obvious and `lightweight' problems.  Prepare
`application battery' to superficially test the correctness of the code.
  Prepare automatic speed measurement  with SPECjvm benchmark.  Get
replies from developers and discuss the questions and contradiction
arisen (with them and LSB workgroup).

10 July: Fix issues that required collaboration with developers.  Fix
the build system of OpenJDK to allow automatic LSB build or prepare the
script that runs it, whatever seems suitable.

25 July: Prepare several patchsets for JDK: to satisfy JDK developers
and to make JDK lsb compatible by any means.  Summarize previously
unknown issues aboud carrying application to LSB compatible state.

10 August: pencils-down date; prepare final documentation and reports.

MY BACKGROUND
I study in Moscow Insititute of Physics and Technologie (State
University), where I'm taking a Masters program on applied mathematics.
  However, my main goal has always been CS, so I took various courses in
this area: Relational Database Systems, Computability Theory, Theory and
Implementation of Programming Languages, Computational Complexity
Theory, Compiler Optimization,  Effective C++ Programming  etc.  I truly
enjoy studying of new algorithms and programming languages.

As of my programming skills, I have considerable experience of them.  I
know Pascal/Delphi, that I used in programming contests in school.
Nowadays I use C/C++ and modern interpreted languages like Ruby and
Perl, along with scripting ones like GNU Make's language and bash.
I code on Intel x86-64 platform under different GNU/Linux systems, I'm
familiar with the way Linux programs are developed and distributed.