[lsb-discuss] qt3: testing our deprecation strategy

Kay Tate ktate at novell.com
Mon Aug 3 10:26:10 PDT 2009

 > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 08:48:03AM +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
>
>    For symbols that which were deprecated in LSB 3.2 or earlier but
>    not yet withdrawn as of LSB 4.0, if there are no certified
>    applications that have used the interface/library, it may be
>    removed in LSB 4.1 without any further warnings.  If, however, the
>    interface/library has been used in one or more certified
>    applications, the LSB workgroup may decide to withdraw the
>    interface at the next LSB release after 3 years instead of 5
>    years, with an appropriate warning issued by the LSB application
>    checker.

At the present time, since there are so few certified applications, we should take the Navigator data into consideration, not just the certified applications. If, in the Navigator, significant commercial applications or significant numbers of smaller applications use an interface/library, we should not remove the it without warning. We want to encourage them to certify. When we determine that we have critical mass for certified applications, we can use the above language.
        -Kay T.