[lsb-discuss] qt3: testing our deprecation strategy

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Mon Aug 3 11:43:25 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 10:23:37AM -0600, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Robert Schweikert wrote:
>
> > Sounds good to me. Shifting to a time based rather than a release
> > based schedule provides a consistent time frame for deprecations that
> > ISVs and distro vendors can work with. Setting the time period to a
> > short interval if we cannot find any use of a symbol should provide an
> > incentive for people to certify.
> >
> > Robert
>
> So are we down to where we have a specific proposal now?

Well, my intent in making a strawman proposal was to try to make
forward progress.  Is the general framework of using time-based
releases and taking into account whether or not the symbol has been
used by certified applications one that makes sense to folks?  Are
there problems with this approach?  Other things that we should take
into account?

If there are, maybe we're not ready to make wordsmithing or
fine-tuning on the strawman.  If people are agreed on the general
approach, maybe we're ready to start tweaking the strawman as a
proposed new deprecation policy.

What do folks think?

					- Ted