[lsb-discuss] Linux Socket API Documentation?

Darren Davis ddavis at novell.com
Thu Dec 24 06:16:50 PST 2009

Silakov <silakov at ispras.ru> wrote:
> On 12/24/09 01:10, Darren Davis wrote:
>> Hello LSB,
>>
>> Were would you point someone to get the definitive API Documentation for the
> Linux Socket API?  Would you just say look at the man pages?  They tend to be
> outdated.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Well, I don't think that man pages in this particular area are outdated.
> man 2 and 7 for socket and other relevant 'man 2' pages were updated
> less than a year ago (end 2008/beginning 2009) and should represent all
> kernel 2.6.27/glibc 2.9 possibilities.
>
> Probably these are not the ultimate docs, but I guess this is much more
> fresh then most of documents/FAQs/tutorials you can find in the Net.

Agreed, it does look like the dates are October of 2008 in SLE 11, so they are pretty current.  I probably should have checked that before making my statement.  I was reflecting more of the fact that you do an Internet search for socket documentation and I find they are usually dated many years ago.

Thanks,

Darren