[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Wed Feb 11 10:13:05 PST 2009

> What would make LSB more useful to you?

The lack of Motif support is what kills it for most of my employers'
apps. I understand the reasons, but while there is no Motif, many
people don't see any point in doing the work to be otherwise LSB-
compliant. And they really don't like the idea of switching to a
Motif substitute, unless it claims to be a complete replacement, up
front, with someone who'll fix deficiencies, and they don't see an
adequate gain in re-writing huge amounts of complex GUI in Qt, or
something else. It would be man-decades of work, at a conservative
estimate.

No, these people don't have any ideological commitment to Linux.
To them it is just another UNIX platform. So far, customers only
seem to want the products (big expensive CAD and PDM software) on
SUSE Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise, so they don't have any
strong pressure to go to LSB.

Various company products that don't have an GUI because they are
math libraries, are much more willing to adopt LSB. For them, the
pain is quite small.

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer