[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Feb 13 10:02:26 PST 2009

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> I second this strongly.
> I do not care about performance issues, just having a tone of
> files that
> the user has to look at each time they visit their home directory.
> And some nice rules about how to use that space so that config files
> owners are easy to track down and also play nice with others...
> Put a comment at the beginning of config files with the
> application name
> in it, full path if possible.
> Put a unique numner on the end of config files, that way multiple
> versions of an app can coexist easily and two apps with similar names
> can have config files that do not crash.

this seems a reasonable topic for FHS if it can be gotten going
again, but it would require an understanding that work could be
done on proposals that aren't current practice on distributions.
I guess a LOT of buyin would be needed to migrate to such a new
scheme, and don't know if it's possible with so much history
behind the current stuff, but I'm not saying don't talk about it...