[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Jiri Dluhos jdluhos at suse.cz
Fri Feb 13 11:09:16 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

Just my 2 cents of thoughts... please don't take me too seriously...

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:13:05 +0100
"Dallman, John" <john.dallman at siemens.com> wrote:
> > What would make LSB more useful to you?
>
> The lack of Motif support is what kills it for most of my employers'
> apps. I understand the reasons, but while there is no Motif, many
> people don't see any point in doing the work to be otherwise LSB-
> compliant.

Wouldn't the simplest solution be to simply link the Motif library
statically into the application, or bundle it with the executable? I
think it is not so big...

> And they really don't like the idea of switching to a
> Motif substitute, unless it claims to be a complete replacement, up
> front, with someone who'll fix deficiencies, and they don't see an
> adequate gain in re-writing huge amounts of complex GUI in Qt, or
> something else. It would be man-decades of work, at a conservative
> estimate.

I understand it's lots of annoying work, but man-decades are, IMO, way
overstated. When considering that the graphical interface is only
a part of the whole code, I have problems imagining a software project
so huge to justify man-decades; IMHO that would suffice to rewrite the
whole UNIX from scratch.

> No, these people don't have any ideological commitment to Linux.
> To them it is just another UNIX platform. So far, customers only
> seem to want the products (big expensive CAD and PDM software)

A big expensive CAD programs with a Motif interface? Don't the
customers consider the GUI, well, a bit dated? Although Motif might be
excellent in its time, the current user interfaces are much better not
only in look, but also in comfort and usability.

Best regards,

    Jiri Dluhos