[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Feb 18 06:29:53 PST 2009

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:

> Hum ... Back in the early days, there was a focus on keeping LSB
> monolithic, so that if a distro supported a version of LSB, there was
> no further complexity. Given that new we have optional features in
> LSB, is there any scope for Motif being another optional feature, so
> that the distros for whom it isn't free-enough software can simply
> not support that feature?

just to clarify,

things got a little restructured from the point when this was
true.  what were optional features are now called trial-use
features, with a clear intent that they'll either become
fully mandatory, or else fail their trial and be dropped.
no, people don't *have* to support trial-use features (although
we expect them generally to be there so we can gather test
results, etc), but once the vote on promote/drop takes place,
they'd have to if it passed.