[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Feb 18 07:02:12 PST 2009

Dallman, John wrote:
> Mats wrote:
>>> Given that new we have optional features in LSB, is there
>>> any scope for Motif being another optional feature,
>> What were optional features are now called trial-use
>> features, with a clear intent that they'll either become
>> fully mandatory, or else fail their trial and be dropped.
>
> Oh, well. So much for that idea. Is there any other obvious way
> to overcome the objections about Motif not being free enough?

well, the classic way is to describe only the interface, and
if free implementations can meet the requirement, then fine.
I'd probably be a bit surprised if truly intensive Motif
applications consider Lesstif "good enough".  The problems
there are I believe Lesstif only claims source compatibility,
not binary compatibility, and I think the project has gone
rather stale.