[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Feb 18 07:47:47 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:26:30PM +0100, Dallman, John wrote:
> > Yes - stop trying to standardise Motif through LSB. Just produce
> > a spec amongst those folks still using Motif for the location/form
> > /naming of the Motif package so you can all use the same shared
> > library image.
>
> There are some deadly commercial rivalries in there, sadly.

That's just stupid....  I can try to help bring the various ISV's
together if you can give me some names of companies and contact names,
but if there is George Bush-style aggressively
incompentence/unwillingness to listen going on, there may be nothing
that can be done.  Usually, though, companies are generally receptive
to ways of saving money and I would expect in these economic times
perhaps it would be easier to bring them to the table.

> > Or just ship it with the app
>
> I had assumed that this approach would be messed up by Linux's
> system of registering system shared libraries. Or is there a way
> to have private shared libraries with the same sonames as
> registered ones?

Sure, via setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or by compiling in a specific
search path into the binary.  This is not hard....

How many commercial Motif-using products are still out there, BTW?
Has anyone taken a census?  How big of a problem is this really?

    	   	   	    	    - Ted