[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Feb 18 09:59:13 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:47:47AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:

> How many commercial Motif-using products are still out there, BTW?
> Has anyone taken a census?  How big of a problem is this really?

According to Database Navigator, we currently have a grand total of
*three* commercial products utilizing libXm:

http://dev.linuxfoundation.org/navigator/browse/lib_single.php?cmd=list_lib_ints_app_usage&Lname=libXm&changearch=None&changever=3.2&changeui=None&changesize=None&changecategory=None&changevendor=None&changelicense=Proprietary

* GroupWise	7.01	x86
* IBM Communications Server 	6.2.2.99	S390
* sunstudio     12      x86

It would be useful for those who are asserting that there are tons and
tons of applications that utilize Motif to run the Linux Application
Checker on them, and upload the results into the database, so we can
evaluate exactly how many applications could certify if we added Motif
to the LSB.  (If it turns out that a bunch of the applications need
other non-LSB libraries, or worse yet, like certain enterprise
databases, is very tightly tied to a specific kernel version --- or,
as was mentioned on the call, tightly tied to a specific X server
implementation --- then the effort of adding Motif to the LSB, at
least for that application, is moot.)

					- Ted