[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:32:38 PST 2009

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> "Wichmann, Mats D" <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> writes:
>
>> So just to start that particular ball rolling, let's ask
>> again what are the pain points that LSB 4.0 doesn't address?
>> We do have some saved issues that didn't get addressed,
>> and some subset of those will likely be on the list for
>> the next version of LSB, but rather than trot those out
>> here I'd like to do a one-time query "fresh".
>>
>> What would make LSB more useful to you?
>
> Addition of SANE APIs and a way for third party packages to integrate
> easily with the distribution's device configuration policies.
>
> LSB 4.0 has done a great job for printer support and, as Till has
> already pointed out, scanners need to be done next in order to get
> multi-functional device support.  After scanners, I guess the next
> thing to add would be API to use faxes ;-)
>
> I maintain a third package scanner driver[1] and have volunteered to
> work on the SANE API addition (and have only gotten very little done
> as of yet :-(, see [2]).
>
> Probably the main problem I encounter with scanner support is getting
> devices configured correctly on the various distributions, especially
> USB scanners.  Unlike printers, there is no scanner USB device class.
> This means we need to maintain a database of vendor/product IDs that
> correspond to scanners.  Currently, distributions mostly use udev and
> hal for their device management, but just about every distribution
> seems to be using its own device configuration.
>
> This is not a problem for devices that are supported out-of-the-box by
> the distributions, but it is a royal pain in the neck for third party
> packages that want to add devices that were not even on sale when the
> distribution was released.  I try to cope with an unholy post-install
> script that tries to pry out the distribution's policy from files in
> several locations (because everyone puts them somewhere else) and use
> that as a template to generate my own add-on file.  This is a burden
> to maintain as distributions all have their own ideas about what's
> best for their users.  On top of that, the distributions themselves
> change their minds time and again.
>
>  [1] http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
>  [2] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/SANE40
>
> Hope this helps,

This sounds all great. Best would be if you could report about it and
discuss this with us on the OpenPrinting Summit in April, if you cannot
come personally, also via call-in.

We had already liked to get it into LSB 4.0 but no one stepped up to do
the work to complete it.

It also would be great if your post-installation script method to
register a scanner model with the distro for UDEV/HAL can be added to
the macro set of the LSB DDK.

    Till