[lsb-discuss] Thinking about future LSB features

Dalibor Topic Dalibor.Topic at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 25 05:43:20 PST 2009

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> What would make LSB more useful to you?

A library to query and interact with native packaging formats and
tools, that's not specific to RPM, deb, etc.

The subject of a bunch of flamewars in the packaging world lately has
been the poor integration of, say, Ruby gems, into native packaging.
As it is, it's pretty hard to bolt on vertical metadata graphs onto
existing ones in the distributions without forcing users to learn
different tools - that creates all kinds of fascinating conflict and
failure points.[1]

While I assume that Ruby, Python et. al. are familiar examples, the
long term use case I have in mind are typical Java applications that
consist of hundreds of libraries. It'd be nice if they could be made
as easy to install & manage on Linux systems across distributions as
possible - and for that some easy way of interaction with native
packaging across different 'backends' would be desirable.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://reprocessed.org/blog/dpkg-tools for a non-ranty explanation
of the issues involved.

Dalibor Topic                   Tel: (+49 40) 23 646 738
Java F/OSS Ambassador           AIM: robiladonaim
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Mobile: (+49 177) 2664 192
Nagelsweg 55                    http://openjdk.java.net
D-20097 Hamburg                 mailto:Dalibor.Topic at sun.com
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer