[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 Release Candidate 2
jeff at licquia.org
Wed Jan 28 14:05:41 PST 2009
I am pleased to announce the availability of LSB 4.0 Release Candidate 2.
This version of LSB 4.0 has been put in the normal release directories,
but IS ONLY A RELEASE CANDIDATE! In particular, certification is not
yet open for LSB 4.0.
We are continuing to use the previously-announced beta page for
accessing information on LSB 4.0 prereleases. That page can be
You can view and download the specification from there, or download our
test suites, Software Development Kit, and Sample Implementation.
Debian repositories can be accessed via this sources.list line:
deb http://ftp.linuxfoundation.org/pub/lsb/repositories/debian lsb-4.0 \
Repo files for yum are provided under the yum repository top-level
The improvements in LSB 4.0 can be found in our preliminary release notes:
Some of the changes from LSB 4.0 Beta 2:
- Many distribution test failures have been analyzed and either fixed
Some of the highlights of LSB 4.0:
- The SDK now supports LSB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 4.0 in one single
download, and can switch between them at application build time.
- The Sample Implementation is brand-new, and is now based on the
Conary technology from rPath.
- A new set of tools for the Sample Implementation makes use of the SI
- The SDK now provides a tool for easy building of LSB-compliant packages.
- Many updates to already-shipping standards, such as glibc, Qt 4, and
- Many new standards, such as Cairo, NSS, and the Java language.
We would appreciate any last-minute feedback. Please see:
to see the current status of LSB 4.0, and to report any issues you may
Some important known issues:
- The specification has some changes from RC1, but they may not all be
available until tomorrow.
- The Sample Implementation is still in beta, and updates for it will
appear on the LSB 4.0 Beta page as they arrive.
More information about the lsb-discuss