[lsb-discuss] failed to execute LSB4.0 perl testset in dtk-manager-2

Stew Benedict stewb at linux-foundation.org
Thu Jul 2 03:09:11 PDT 2009

Cao, Jenny Q wrote:
> Strew
> 	I know that the needed perl sub packages are not specified by LSB. So it is not easy to add them in installation dependency check.

Actually, they are required by LSB:
[stew at localhost ~]$ egrep 'Harness|Simple'
/opt/lsb/share/appchk/lsb-perl-modules.list
Filter::Simple 3.2 NULL
Test::Harness 3.2 NULL
Test::Simple 3.2 NULL

The problem is that distribution meta-packages have not accounted for
this in the "lsb" dependency. As we are getting distributions to certify
to LSB-4.0, they are now updating their lsb keystone package to correct
some of these issues.
> I wonder if post-installed script of lsb-perl-test package could print some warning message to the user, such as "To execute the perl-test, you must make sure following packages are exist."

We could, except that only a few months ago I closed out a bug
requesting that I removed all such console messages from the test
packages. In the rpm world it's usually considered bad practice to emit
things at the console, with the assumption that under a graphical
package management, or even yum, the user may never see these messages
anyway. The way some of this has been handled more recently is to have
dtk check, like it did for the X11 fonts, and then refuse to run the
test when the needed bits aren't present.
> In this way, user could manually check the needed packages and install the missing packages if he want to run lsb perl test.
>
> Currently, only after the perl-test are failed to execute, User may find missing the dependency packages by checking the failure log.
>
> Olver test is in the same situation as perl-test.

Yes, olver has some deps that aren't LSB requirements, like
perl-XML-Simple, and java (trial use).

--
Stew Benedict
Linux Foundation