[lsb-discuss] qt3: testing our deprecation strategy

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Tue Jul 28 08:10:44 PDT 2009

> In any case, it's been 5 years between LSB 3.0 and 4.0, and if that
> keeps up, "3 major releases" might be 15 years, which is probably way
> too long.

Damn right. Having "releases" that count every two years, so that 3
releases was about 6 years, would be a plausible kind of timescale.
SuSE Linux Enterprise, which is our primary Linux, is about every two
years, and that's quite manageable.

> Even if we change it to be 3 releases, it may make sense for us to
> make exceptions for interfaces/libraries that have never been used
> in a certified application.  (Which would be a way to incentivize
> ISV's to certify their apps.  :-)

Worth trying, but getting ISVs to notice is the hard part.

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software
Industry Sector
46 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1DP
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-1223-371554