[lsb-discuss] lzma a big win... time to include it in lsb 4.1?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Jun 11 11:30:41 PDT 2009

Dan Kegel wrote:
> We just noticed that our package gets a lot smaller when
> compressed with lzma.
> http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/node/26267
> recommends turning LZMA off when building LSB packages.
> Can we get that changed for LSB 4.1?

The answer is always - are such packages portable to all
interesting systems (including able to be converted by
tools such as alien)?  If so, then there should be no
impediment to describing the format - although note that
there's been resistance in the past to adding things like
this to the packaging spec (on the grounds of it not being
useful enough to be worth the effort, as I recall).