[lsb-discuss] Possible to get rid of /usr/bin/sendmail requirement in LSB 4.1?

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Fri Jun 12 11:32:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 06:07:19PM +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> One problem which I have with the LSB is the requirement of
> /usr/bin/sendmail. This pulls in a mail server system with daemon on
> many systems, taking resources, opening a possible security hole, asking
> question to non-tech users during the MTA installation, ... This can
> easily happen only when a printer driver from OpenPrinting gets
> installed and this can make users complain, up to users refusing LSB
> packages.

Yes, but most desktop users do want to send e-mail; and if you use
something like ssmtp, and the user is off the network, or the mailhub
is temporarily down, the e-mail will get rejected in a way which is
generally confusing for the user; most applications assume that the
MTA is going to be able to queue e-mail.

I view this as a distribution quality issue, not an LSB issue.  If
assume that desktop users want to be able to send e-mail --- which I
think is a reasonable assumption --- how the distribution handles this
so the user doesn't get confusing questions during installation is one
all distributions are going to have to deal with one way or another.

    		      	       	    - Ted