[lsb-discuss] Possible to get rid of /usr/bin/sendmail requirement in LSB 4.1?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Jun 13 08:20:02 PDT 2009

> So you are saying that following the LSB requirements and turn
> "sendmail deliver email" into reality, this is an implementation bug
> and LSB didn't really mean it that way?

No.

> So to avoid all the tech questions/disk usage/etc., would it be okay
> if we put in an /usr/bin/sendmail which looks like
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   echo "Please install a real MTA if you want to use sendmail" >&2
>   exit 1

Depends whether you care about the spirit of the spec or your userbase. A
completely valid compliant implementation of the C library can return
-EINTR to all calls to most syscalls quite validly - but its not useful.

> ? This would conform to the interface. Would that be in or against the
> LSB spirit? This is an _honest_ question; I just keep getting
> complaints, but nobody was able to tell me yet what the LSB
> specification _intended_ by making this interface mandatory.

That calling sendmail sent email somewhere in a useful fashion.

(I'd actually argue the real problem is that you can't normally use
service discovery or DNS to autoconfigure an SMTP smarthost - which is an
ISP layer protocol issue)