[lsb-discuss] ELF header question

Denis Silakov silakov at ispras.ru
Mon Jun 29 03:15:55 PDT 2009

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Robert Schweikert wrote:
>
>> Analysis of some binary produced a message about the .tbss section as
>> follows.
>>
>> Non-dynamic section .tbss found in PT_DYNAMIC segment
>>

>> I take it this tells me that the .tbss section was written to the
>> wrong segment of the header. Even after spending some time trying to
>> figure out where .tbss is expected I could not find the information.
>>
>> Anyone know in which segment .tbss information should be written?
>> A pointer to the documentation for this would be great as well.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert
>>

> the checkers have rules derived from the attributes - it's
> not always obvious up front (or necessarily even later).
> my guess is that there's not an error, but just further
> evolution in the section-combining stuff happening in
> binutils that we've run into elsewhere.

This particular check is driven by section type - elfchk expects
PT_DYNAMIC segment to contain SHT_DYNAMIC sections only, while .tbss has
SHT_NOBITS type.

This can be, indeed, just an evolution of section layout that doesn't
break anything. In this case we should improve elfchk (not the unique
situation - recently we've investigated similar elfchk issue with
PT_GNU_RELRO segments).

--
Regards,
Denis.