[lsb-discuss] AppChecker 4.0.2 - comments

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Wed Mar 11 06:17:54 PDT 2009

Konstantin Vlasov wrote:
<snip>

> RS> - The starting directory tree for selection displayed is the "root"
> RS> directory, i.e. "/". I agree that this is as good a choice as any.
> RS> However, displaying the word "root" as the location is confusing as it
> RS> might lead users to think they are looking at the super user home
> RS> directory. The double meaning of the word is unfortunate. I'd suggest to
> RS>  simply display "/" instead of "root". This remove any ambiguity.
>
> The  problem  here  is that each part of the path is a link opening the specific
> subdirectory, and the short "/" is very hard to click on. Besides, it would look
> strange  if  the  "linked" "/" element was followed immediately by an "unlinked"
> one supposed to delimit path elements. I also considered the following design:
> _/_ _home_ / _user_ / _subdir_
> that  is  the  first "/" is a link to the root, all others are plain delimiters,
> but  for me it did not look clear enough (aside from the above-mentioned problem
> with too narrow clickable link).
>
> For now I did not find any better solution, but I agree that the name "root" can
> be  misleading.  Maybe, display it as "<root>" or something like that instead of
> just "root"? What do you think of it?

In the GNOME GUI world they started to label the "root" directory as
"filesystem", maybe we should follow this naming convention?

> RS> - It would be nice to get a text entry field into the "Component
> RS> Selection browser" to allow the user to enter a path, rather than having
> RS> to click through the hierarchy.
>
> It  is  possible  to enter a path directly in the Components editbox on the main
> Application  Check  page  (or  even  several).  If  you  do so and then open the
> Component  Selection  dialog,  it  will  read  them and automatically select the
> corresponding  items, so they will not be cleared if you try to add something to
> the already entered list.
>
> RS> - The application name field is cleared either when the "Component
> RS> Selection browser" is started or exited. The value of the field should
> RS> remain. I would consider this a bug.
>
> Hm, I cannot reproduce it here. What is supposed to be is that if the Name field
> is empty, and the user selected a single file/dir in the Component Selection and
> pressed  Finish,  the Name is filled with the name of the selected component. In
> all other cases (e.g. when Name is not empty) this field is not modified at all.
>
> Could  you  please  provide  some more details? What is your OS/architecture and
> browser version?

I tested on openSUSE 11.1 with Firefox 3.0.7.

I filled in the name, the started the component browser, selected 3
libraries in the component browser and when I got back to the "checking"
page the name was gone.

Robert

Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert at novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One