[lsb-discuss] LSB/OpenJDK GSOC Draft

Kay Tate ktate at novell.com
Wed Mar 11 13:12:00 PDT 2009

"different" in line 4

Do we assume that the resulting product will still be "Java," or should we mention standard testing?

Do we also want an informal assessment of resulting performance to ensure that there is not a major departure with the API substitutions?

Or should the last two questions be our reactions to the patch set?
       -Kay T.

>>> "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso at mit.edu> 3/11/2009 02:40 PM >>>

OK, here's the draft.  Please comment!

					- Ted

Make OpenJDK LSB Compliant

The Sun Java runtime environment uses a number of interfaces which are
not yet in the LSB 4.0.  A list of those interfaces can be found in the
LSB Database Navigator[1].  In some cases, LSB compliance issues can be
easily fixed by simply compiling Java Runtime using differnet compiler
options, or by using the lsbcc wrapper to gcc.  In other cases, simple
substitions (using posix_memalign instead of memalign) is all that is
required.  However, not all non-LSB libraries and interfaces used by
OpenJDK will be as easy to solve.

[1]  http://dev.linuxfoundation.org/navigator/browse/app.php?cmd=display-by-name&changeArch=None&Aname=Sun%20JRE

The goal of this project is to analyze the open source OpenJDK[2] Java
Run-Time Environment and create patches so that it can be built as an
LSB-complaint application.  The student who applies for this project
should be familiar with C and C++ programming, and enough Java
experience to be able to run Java test programs.  Familiarity with the
LSB project and with the OpenJDK projects is highly desirable.

[2] http://openjdk.java.net

Mentor: Jeff Licquia(?), the LSB work group

Desired Knowledge: C and C++, Java, experience with LSB and/or OpenJDK

Code license: GPL V2 with Classpath exception