[lsb-discuss] Manual app battery: not that useful?

Jiri Dluhos jdluhos at suse.cz
Fri May 22 10:33:32 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I have some comments to the manual app battery tests; although not in the
center of attention, they are now a mandatory part of LSB testing, and, as I
have learnt the hard way, not the easiest obstacle. In fact, I have even
thought whether it is a good idea to have them.

My observations (in no particular order):

* s390(x) machines, as virtuals running on some big iron, typically don't have
soundcards nor displays; X can only be run as a remote server. Thus:
    * "alsaplayer" is confused (it runs, but refuses to load sound files)
    * "celestia" is a torture even on a relatively fast link
    * the same might apply on any non-standard arch where the user probably
does not have the physical machine under his/her table but connects to it
remotely

* Some users may need/have to run the tests over a networked session (see
above), which means that there are at least two pretty different scenarios:
for local screen and for networked screen; furthermore, the instructions for
testing do not always work well for networked screen (e.g. try pressing "Ctrl-
Q" in the "krdb" remote screen viewer; it will close the whole krdb).

* Downloading the packages according to the instructions in the dtk-manager is
overly complex; all we need is a simple script (please find an example
attached to this message) that downloads and possibly installs all the
packages for the user.

* All operations are tedious, pointless and totally mechanical; after some
time, the user will get pretty numb and just blindly clicking; I doubt
anything less than a spectacular crash will be noticed.

So, I ask: shouldn't we think about revamping the whole manual app battery,
possibly even removing it completely and automating some of the tests instead?

Best regards and thanks for listening,

    Jiri Dluhos