[lsb-discuss] LSB -- next 4.1

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Thu May 28 07:07:53 PDT 2009

IMHO the compiler is NOT part of the OS. In addition as an application
or library provider I would think that having to install a compiler to
use the app or library is undesirable. Why would one put the user
through this? From a user perspective I would want to install the app or
library and just use it without having to jump through hoops and install
a compiler in addition just to get the correct RTE.

Unlike the STL, OpenMP is not part of a given language, it is more like
an aspect.

I suppose if everyone agrees, i.e. all OpenMP library implementers, on
the interfaces an OpenMP library should provide it might be a lot easier
to consider for the LSB. With a bit of scripting one could at least
easily compare the interfaces provided by libgomp, libguide, and
Portland Group's version. That would cover the major compiler vendors.

In any event having shippable implementations will lead to a faster
success than waiting for inclusion of OpenMP in the LSB, I think.

Robert

Dallman, John wrote:
> Robert Schweikert [mailto:rschweikert at novell.com] wrote:
>
>> IMHO we want to have the various openMP RTE libraries be LSB compliant
>> such that they can be shipped.
>
> We'd feel extremely nervous about doing that. Run-time libraries like
> that seem much more like parts of the OS than of an application to me.
> Feel free to explain why I'm wrong.

Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert at novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One