[lsb-discuss] LSB -- next 4.1

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Thu May 28 08:08:35 PDT 2009

Well, for any given release of a Linux distribution, there is a
compiler that is in some senses part of the OS - the one that
was used to build that release.

I absolutely agree that installing another compiler because an
application needs its support libraries is unacceptable.

My problem comes if I ship a libgomp.so accompanying my product
(which is a library, not an application) and it needs some non-
LSB interface. Suddenly, I'm no longer LSB-compliant. And at
present, libgomp can't be LSB-compliant owing to syscall().

Even with an LSB-compliant libgomp, I need to be rather careful
about where I tell my customers who write applications to install
it. Some creative genius will doubtless try to replace the
copy in /usr/lib64, rather than keeping it as part of their app.

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer

Siemens PLM Software