[lsb-discuss] Definitive use of /etc/* files for system-wide application data maintenance

Helbling, Douglas E douglas.e.helbling at intel.com
Fri Nov 20 04:01:17 PST 2009

Can anyone on the list point me to any documents or specific document sections within the LSB framwork that address what the rules and expectations are regarding use of /etc/* files to help manage environment variables, paths, etc., that might be needed for all users of a specific installed application?  In this case the application(s) will be one or more compilers and software development tools.  I am looking to facilitate some changes in this area for some development tools I support in terms of packaging and installation, and want to be sure that whatever new behaviors we employ for our next generation of product do not violate established conventions in this area.

References outside of Linux Foundation space, if appropriate, would of course also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Doug Helbling