[lsb-discuss] Definitive use of /etc/* files for system-wide application data maintenance

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Nov 20 05:50:10 PST 2009

Mainly you want FHS for issues that seem to be "more generic" than LSB (http://pathname.com/fhs)

In addition, LSB adds a requirement for /etc/profile.d to hold the kinds of things it seems you're talking about:

http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_4.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/etc.html

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask more...
(and note this is an area that's not well handled)