[lsb-discuss] Definitive use of /etc/* files for system-wide application data maintenance

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:30:02 PST 2009

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Mainly you want FHS for issues that seem to be "more generic" than
> LSB (http://pathname.com/fhs)

I'm glad you brought this up.  It seems that the FHS is not keeping up
as the most recent change is in 2004.  I know it shouldn't change
frequently, but it does need to address some things a little better.
For instance is /usr/X11R6 still really valid when we are using xorg
X11R7.5?

I'd also like to see a discussion about removing /lib64, or at least
marking it deprecated.  The reason for it seems to be less and less
valid as Linux continues to progress.  Virtually all Intel/AMD hardware
in the last few years has 64-bit hardware.  The only reason to have both
32-bit and 64-bit applications on the same system is to support old,
unmaintained software that can't be rebuilt as 64-bit executables or
libraries.  It reminds me of the days when we were supporting 16-bit
software on a 32-bit system.  That has gone away.  I feel we need to at
least initiate the process where 32-bit support on a 64-bit system is
discouraged so it can eventually be eliminated.

   -- Bruce