[lsb-discuss] Using SSE2 instructions in 32-bit x86 LSB code?

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Thu Oct 22 07:16:18 PDT 2009

I'm responsible for LSB compliance for the Parasolid family of
3D CAD/CAM libraries, which are closed-source binary-distribution
commercial software. I'm working on updating our builds to GCC 4.3
on SLES11.

I'm contemplating compiling for SSE2 in the 32-bit x86 build, for
better floating-point performance. Is this legitimate under the
LSB standards? SSE2 is standard for x86-64, of course, but the
32-bit LSB packages are built for the 486 instruction set, causing
me to wonder if the standard mandates that.

I'm afraid I can't locate the standards documents on the website to
find out for myself; I can't make any sense of this version of the
site.

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software
Industry Sector
46 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1DP
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-1223-371554