[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 SDK queries

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Sep 4 07:30:44 PDT 2009

Dallman, John wrote:
> I have the LSB SDK 4.0.0-4 from February, for the platforms I use,
> but that's the one that gives warnings on SLES11 about not working
> properly with GCC 4.3.
>
> Looking at the downloads page, the development kit hasn't been updated
> since February, but there are updated versions of lsb-build-base,
> lsb-build-cc, lsb-build-c++, and so on. Presumably those would make
> a new SDK? Have the GCC 4.3 problems been dealt with?
>
> If so, I'm not exactly sure which of those packages I need. I know I
> need -base, -cc and -c++, and I know I don't need -desktop, -qt*,
> -makelsbpkg or -runner at present. I'm not at all sure about
> -task-sdk, or -buildenv; I don't think I need xdg-utils.

yes, it's been taken care of, but due to a set of circumstances
the update to the SDK was never released.

> I'm used to building stuff with the LSB 3.1 SDK, using lsbcc and
> lsbc++; some idea of how things have changed from there would help. I
> work with lots of different platforms, so I can't really keep
> up-to-date with all the Linux developments as they happen.
>

> Secondly, what's the situation with running stuff built for LSB 4.0 on
> machines that support LSB 3.1? The loaders are the same, but does that
> mean it's just supposed to work, or are there caveats or limitations?

It's not meant to work, but it might.  That is, apps are free to use
anything in the spec they're targeting, and that means, since the
features are additive, appchk won't complain at all if an app uses
a 4.0-only feature.

Fortunately, the checker can be told to check against an arbitrary
spec version (well, back to 3.0), so you can check whether something
can be expected to work on 3.1.