[lsb-discuss] LSB Distribution Testkit Getting Started

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 22:29:58 PDT 2009

Linux From Scratch is a book that documents how to build and install a GNU/Linux
system from source code.  The project has been in continuous development for
about 10 years.

Now, we would like to explain in the book how to make the installation that is
built LSB complaint, but I need help in getting started.  The instructions on
the web site seem to assume that the user is already using a compliant distro.
Documentation about trying to bootstrap into a compliant state is difficult to find.

I first had to build rpm because that is not a part of our default installation.

I then downloaded and installed lsb-dist-testkit-4.0.0-4.x86_64.tar.gz.

When starting, LSB failed because there is no lsb_release program.  I could not
find a reference implementation for this so I hacked a debian version so that I get:

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    core-4.0-x86_64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: LFS
Release:        6.5
Codename:       6.5

I also tried using an LSB Version of core-4.0-amd64.

I then had to create a symlink ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 -> ld-linux-x86-64.so.2.

When I run ./lsb-tef.pl core, the tests now seem to start but then I get:

LC_ALL=C passwd vsx0
passwd: password changed.
root at core2:/opt/lsb/test/core/tet/test_sets# [23:46:50] Subshell output stalled
for 60 seconds

and then after about 10 minutes and additional stalled messages, the whole test
fails.

I've searched the FAQ, google, and the LSB website, but can't figure out where
to go from here.  There may be some packages or other prerequisites that I'm
missing, but I can't figure out what they would be.  I'd appreciate any pointers
about how to proceed.

   -- Bruce Dubbs
      linuxfromscratch.org