[lsb-discuss] using LSB in a small project

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Mon Apr 5 11:38:40 PDT 2010

Hi Prashant,

LDN LSB Mailing List wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my very first post here. My skills are average in C/C++ and I am using Linux (kubuntu karmic) for only 5 months.
>
> Some details first:
> http://www.pyinstaller.org/
> PyInstaller is a program that converts (packages) Python programs into stand-alone executables, under Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. On Linux It creates a bootloader using gcc and a set of three simple .C files.
>
> The problem is that bootloader suffers from binary dependency of underlying libc. In simple words, if you are creating a package on karmic 9.10 and compiled the bootloader on the same then your programe won't execute on an older machine.
>
> The current solution is to create a bootloader on an older machine and use it on newer machine. This helps a bit but still the issue of dependency exists.
>
> It's been suggested that if bootloader can be created using LSB then hopefully it'll solve the very fundamental issue of binary dependency.
>
> Current implementation creates the bootloader using gcc and a Makefile.

You can change the Makefile to use lsbcc instead of gcc. In the
packaging files .spec for RPM based distros you will then need

BuildRequires: lsdb-dev
Requires: lsb

I have never looked at the C/C++ code used for this, thus I am assuming
it only uses interfaces that are part of the LSB, if it does not then
you will have build failures.

While everyone on this list would love to see such an effort proceed one
thing to consider is that the LSB is not modular at this point. This
means that LSB dependence will pull in X11, GNOME, KDE and a number of
other things people have voiced concerns about. In practice this has the
implication that if someone writes an app intended to run in a server
environment that does not have any graphics components installed they
will be pulled in once this package is installed.

HTH,
Robert