[lsb-discuss] (no subject)

Denis Silakov silakov at ispras.ru
Tue Apr 6 03:29:19 PDT 2010

On 04/06/10 13:43, Prashant Saxena wrote:

> I would also like to know one more thing about LSB.
> An article said that binaries produced by LSB are architecture
> dependent. This means that if you are producing a binary on AMD64 machine,
> your binary will only execute on the same architecture.

That's right. This is not something that LSB has invented, this comes
from the nature of the ELF format itself.

> I would like to know more about this "fat" binary thing. For  example:
>
> 1. How to produce them?
> 2. Do you need all the architecture available in order to produce them?
> 3. Is it possible to produce this binary using a community effort? For
> example i can do things related to AMD32/64 and some else can take care
> of intel machines?
You may read about FatELF here:

http://icculus.org/fatelf/

The approach requires patches for both kernel and glibc. Neither kernel
developers nor glibc guys have accepted the patches suggested (as well
as the whole FatELF approach), so I'd say this idea is very close to be
dead at the moment.

But FatELF is not a magic, it's just a wrapper that joins several
different ELF files. So in any case, you need to produce a binary for
every architecture you want to support.

--
Regards,
Denis.