[lsb-discuss] (no subject)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Apr 6 09:47:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:04:41 +0530 (IST)
Prashant Saxena <animator333 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Denis,
>
> I have got the idea about "FatELF". As you have said that one has to produce binary(bootloader) for all the architecture one needs to support.
> Considering you have produced binaries for different architectures, is it possible to keep/join them together in a non conventional way that when you
> start the app, correct binary is loaded automatically and your app successfully starts.

I guess you could but why would anyone want to. It wastes disk, network
bandwidth for updates, and its harder than simply maintaining a few
versions of the binary for different architectures.

You've still got to build on each platform and test on each platform so a
single package doesn't really help. If you look at how distributions
tackle this they use scripts or programs driving rpmbuild to produce sets
of binaries for different architectures and spit out one src rpm and a
set of arch specific binary packages.

Alan