[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 for embedded systems

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Wed Apr 21 10:51:38 PDT 2010

Hi David,

On 04/21/2010 01:20 PM, David Griego wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm working on one of our embedded Linux distributions here at
> MontaVista.  We would like to have LSB 4.0 certification for this
> distribution, but have been holding back to LSB 3.0 because of the
> increased graphics requirements needed.  Since most of our supported
> systems are headless we have not seen the need to provide robust
> graphics support.  Is there a way to get certified LSB 4.0 with a subset
> of the graphics requirement?  If not, is this something that we might be
> able to help with (such as an embedded LSB 4.0 certification)?

Good timing for your question. We just talked about this at the LSB face
to face meeting last week, see
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_F2F_Spring_2010. This was part of
the modularization discussion and the notes highlight the conclusion of
the discussion.

The conclusion was as follows:

Resolved: LSB certification is not changing

This means if a distribution wants to certify to LSB the distribution
will have to certify to the complete stack, including the graphics
libraries etc.

We are sensitive to the "LSB is too big" problem, however we agreed that
this does not necessarily mean we need to have multiple LSB
certification programs and we reached the conclusion that there should
only be one LSB certification. Modularization comes into play in letting
people choose given modules from an LSB certified distribution, but the
distribution must provide all LSB modules. For LSB 4.1 (next release
towards the end of this year) modularization will not be implemented.

That said, we do have the tools to allow the support of different
certification programs, one could call it the ELB (Embedded Linux Base),
or whatever name people can agree on. Such a certification program could
piggy back on the technology developed for the LSB and use the LSB spec
as a reference. It is conceivable that such a certification program is a
pure subset of the LSB. Some work will have to be done here but if there
is sufficient interest and participation in the Embedded community this
can certainly be accomplished.

HTH,
Robert