[lsb-discuss] Feature request: way of identifying the precise lsbcc version

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Thu Apr 22 11:30:20 PDT 2010

We have a big, complicated distributed build system, and sysadmins who
are
not part of the development team. Sometimes mistakes can happen in who
gets
told about which upgrades, and sometimes people make mistakes in
changing
the build configuration. Since our products are libraries, delivered as
binaries, unknown changes in build configurations can be a real problem;
if problems show up at customers' sites, they often aren't good at
explaining
their linking problems.

So the build system checks machine configurations before it starts work
each night: it asks the OS and compilers what version they are, pulls
together all the compiling and linking options, and so on, and generates

a text file. It compares this with the master version of that file saved

in each built tree, and if they don't match, it refuses.

On Linux, lsbcc is part of the build system. But it doesn't have a way
ask it its precise version. Something like this would do nicely:

$ lsbcc --lsb-cc-version
lsb-build-cc-4.0.1-1

Just asking it which versions of LSB it can build for isn't quite good
enough.
We had to upgrade from lsb-build-cc-4.0.0 to lsb-build-cc-4.0.1 because
the
earlier version wasn't happy with GCC 4.3.

I could use "rpm -qa | grep lsb-build-cc", but that's specific to
Linuxes
that use rpms. All the ones we use at present do that, but that won't
necessarily
remain the case.

best,

--
John Dallman
Parasolid Porting Engineer

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software
Industry Sector
46 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1DP
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-1223-371554